Riding a motorcycle is such a freeing feeling that makes one feel as if they’re one with the road. The flowing wind, the loud engine, and the feeling of power all come together to create a truly unique experience. But with this freedom comes great responsibility; riders need to make sure that they are safe, protected, and comfortable. That’s where they need to wear protective gear while riding. Alas, not all gear will protect you from the elements of nature one encounters when riding.
However, that glorious sense of joy can be robbed when the wrong clothing is worn. Itchiness, sweating, and chafing are all common issues when it comes to motorcycle riding attire. So, what should riders wear under their motorcycle pants? Motorcycle pants are a must-have piece of equipment for anyone who rides, but to ensure optimal safety and comfort, it is important to consider what you wear under your motorcycle pants before taking off on your next journey.
In this post, we’ll discuss what to wear under motorcycle pants for optimal comfort and protection.
Table of Contents
What To Wear Under Motorcycle Pants
Deciding what to wear depends on quite a few bunches of variables and conditions that you will have to face outside. Along with the type of materials that your pants themselves are made out of.
Hot Weather Base Layers
- Synthetic Base Layers: Synthetic base layers are a great option when it comes to wearing something under motorcycle pants. This type of fabric is lightweight, breathable, and quick drying so it won’t get heavy or uncomfortable while you’re on the road. Plus, synthetic fabrics come in a variety of weights which makes them perfect for those hot summer days and chilly winter rides.
- Shorts: The material that your shorts are made out of can make a huge difference in how comfortable your ride is. Look for shorts made with lightweight, breathable materials like mesh or spandex to keep you cool and dry while you’re on the road.
Cold Weather Base Layers
- Thermal Underwear: If you’re going to be out on the road in colder temperatures, a good set of thermal underwear is essential. These usually come with a cotton or wool blend that helps to keep you warm while still allowing your skin to breathe. Plus, they are designed specifically to fit close to your body so they don’t bunch up under your pants which can make it uncomfortable.
- Long Johns: Not only do they provide extra warmth and comfort but their close fit also prevents bunching up under your pants which can cause discomfort. Plus, long johns come in a variety of materials so you’re sure to find something that’s comfortable and appropriate for the varying weather conditions you may encounter while on the road.
- Jeans: Yes, jeans! Believe it or not, some riders actually prefer wearing jeans under their motorcycle pants for extra protection from the elements. Not only do jeans have a thicker fabric than most types of synthetic clothing, but they also provide an additional layer of comfort when riding long distances.
Long pants vs. Shorts
They’re a great option if you’re looking for extra coverage and protection. They provide more warmth than shorts, which makes them perfect for colder days. Plus, they offer an additional layer of protection in case of falls or spills while riding.
They are great to wear during the summer months as they keep your legs cool and comfortable. However, they don’t offer as much protection from the elements as long pants do, so they won’t always be suitable depending on the conditions outside.
Why Do You Need To Wear Motorcycle Underwear
Similar to normal clothing, you don’t walk around commando-style when you go out. So why would it be any different with riding pants? Motorcycle underwear is essential for optimal comfort and protection when riding.
This type of clothing provides an additional layer to help keep you warm in colder temperatures, cool in hot weather, and dry from the elements. It also eliminates any bunching up or chafing of your skin that can occur with traditional garments. Plus, it’s designed specifically to fit close to your body so you won’t have any bunching or movement of the fabric while you’re on the road. Wearing the right type of clothing under your motorcycle pants is essential for a few reasons:
– Comfort: The right type of clothing can help keep you cool and dry while on the road as well as prevent chafing and other irritating skin issues.
– Protection: Motorcycle pants can get quite hot after a while which may even lead to contact low-degree burns if you’re not wearing anything underneath. And if you fall or take a spill, having an extra layer of clothing can help protect your skin from scrapes and cuts that could occur.
Can I wear leggings on a motorcycle?
Instead of leggings, base layers designed specifically for motorcycle riding are far better suited for your needs. This is because these layers are designed to fit close to the body, which prevents bunching up under the pants and helps keep you cool and dry while on the road. Plus, many of these base layers come with additional padding that provides extra protection in case of a fall or spill.
They act similar to leggings. However, they are made from materials that wick away sweat and don’t get as heavy or uncomfortable while you ride. If you’re looking for a layer of clothing that is both comfortable and protective, base layers are an excellent choice.
What should you not wear when riding a motorcycle?
To state the obvious, anything that sticks to your skin in hot weather when you’re sweating under the sweltering sun and causing moisture accumulation or skin irritation is a big no-no. But you might be wondering what some types of clothing or materials do so.
Cotton is usually the worst offender when it comes to this, as it gets heavy with sweat and will stick to your skin. Instead, opt for synthetic materials or base layers that are designed specifically for motorcycle riding, such as breathable mesh.
In cold riding conditions, clothing that bulks up or restricts movement should be avoided, as it can hinder your overall performance and even lead to injuries if you’re not careful. Just stick with thermal layers that are snug and won’t cause any issues while you’re on the road.
Can You Wear Shorts Under Motorcycle Pants?
It is possible to wear shorts under your motorcycle pants though it isn’t necessarily recommended. Not only can they get uncomfortable after a while, but they also don’t offer much protection from the elements or spills and falls. Instead, opt for a pair of base layers designed specifically for motorcycle riding, as these provide additional comfort, breathability, and protection without becoming too bulky or restrictive.
When it comes to moisture-wicking, some of the most effective materials are high-end polyester, polypropylene, and Gore-Tex (which is often used for outerwear). Though wool isn’t typically thought of as appropriate warm-weather apparel, this natural fiber excels at drawing sweat away from your skin.
Overall, there are many clothing options available when it comes to selecting what you should wear underneath your motorcycle gear. Just make sure to choose something that not only fits comfortably but provides enough warmth or cooling depending on the conditions outside, and always keep safety in mind first and foremost. That way, you can ride in confidence, knowing that no matter what Mother Nature throws at you, your clothing has got you covered.